4 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, diced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
1/2 cup flour
Salt and pepper
4 cups chicken broth
3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 cup frozen peas
1/1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch slices
1 tablespoon salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1. Melt butter in medium saucepan. Add carrot and onion and saute for 6 minutes.
2. Add flour and stir to coat. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add broth to carrot mixturem whisking constantly. Bring to boil and then simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.
4. Add chicken, peas, thyme and season with salt and pepper.
5. Divide mixture among 4 single serving baking dishes. Preheat oven to 425.
6. Put sliced potatoes in large pot and cover with water. Add salt. Bring potatoes to a boil, partially cover and, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until potatoes are fork-tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and wipe out pot.
7. Put potatoes, garlic and butter into food processor and process for 10 seconds. Add one cup of milk and process until smooth, about 30 seconds more.
8. Put potatoes back into pot over medium heat. Gradually stir in cheese, stirring continuously until cheese is melted and potatoes are smooth. If mixture becomes too thick, gradually stir in more milk until creamy.
9. Spread potatoes over chicken mixture. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until top of potatoes start to brown (watch it carefully). Serve immediately.