Bacon and Egg Muffins

So, I have a large, wonderful extended family. (Hi, guys!!). And on many a Sunday they have congregated at my house for a noisy breakfast. Because there are so very many of them, I tend to lay it all out buffet style, stack up the plates, and it is every man, woman, child and dog for themselves. And lately, I have gotten into, well, an extended family Sunday breakfast rut. Scrambled eggs. Bacon (of course). Fruit salad. Cheese grits (that is the Southern husband influence). Bagels with cream cheese (that is the teenager influence). Something sweet, to make up for the fact that there are no carbs anywhere else on the table.

Not that anyone is COMPLAINING (well, not in front of me, anyway), but now that I have made this exact same breakfast about 1,000 times in a row, I have been looking for something to shake it up a little. (We did try pancakes once, but once the last pancake was off the griddle, the first pancake eaters were already done and ready for lunch.)

So when I saw these totally adorable little bacon and egg muffins on The Noshery I thought, here is my way out of the Sunday Breakfast Rut. Because these babies are easy to make, they look and taste fabulous, and they are all ready at the same time. This is key. So I gave them a test run a few days ago, making two each for me and the Southern husband, and one to photograph. They were delish, but I knew I really had a hit on my hands when I was finished photographing that last one, and was about to drop it into the dog’s dish (it was cold!) …and the Southern husband intercepted it for himself. Yes, they are that good. The dog is still in mourning.

So give these a try. You can make 2, or you can make 12, or you can make 24 — you are only limited by the size of your muffin tin and your oven. And before the family starts to worry, I will still be making the cheese grits. Never fear.

BACON AND EGG MUFFINS, adapted from The Noshery

Bacon and Egg Muffins

Serves:  Makes 6, but expand it as far as you want!

• 6 slices of bacon
  • 6 slices of bread
  • Shredded cheddar cheese
  • 6 eggs
  • Salt and pepper
  1. 1 Preheat the oven to 400° F. Grease muffin pan.
  2. 2. Microwave or fry bacon until partially cooked but not crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
  3. 3. Cut out rounds of bread from the center of each bread slice, using a round cookie cutter or the top of a glass. Press the bread rounds into the greased muffin wells.
  4. 4. Curl a piece of bacon around the periphery of each piece of bread, positioning it between the bread and the muffin tin to help keep it in position.
  5. 5. Sprinkle a small amount of shredded cheese in the center of each piece of bread.
  6. 6. One at a time, crack an egg into a small bowl or measuring cup, removing about half of the white, and dropping the remaining white and yolk over each piece of bread, being careful not to break the yolks.
  7. 7. Once all the bread pieces have been topped with eggs, bake until eggs are cooked through to your liking (about 6-10 minutes depending on how runny or firm you like your eggs) and bacon is crispy.
  8. 8. Run a knife around the edge of each muffin well and pop the muffins out. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.

Yum

Comments

1. Calamity Anne says:

This is a new and convoluted version of egg in a nest! I can already see my husband giving this dish a thumbs up…since there's bacon in it! Thanks for sharing!

2. Jhonny walker says:

Freaking awesome looking!

3. Aileen Morgan says:

Very happy to try one of these, but also very very happy to know that you are not 86-ing the cheese grits!!!

4. wow che bella foto!! e che ricetta buonissima!

5. I love this idea! And it leaves some egg whites to bake meringues or macarons, which is even better!!!

6. Kate Morgan Jackson says:

You know, I never THOUGHT of meringues, I just gave the extra egg whites to the dog! Great Idea!

7. fact: my favorite breakfast sandwich is the bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit. this is a much more classy and awesome way to obtain that same delicious combination. magnificent!

8. Nutmeg Nanny says:

Wow this awesome! This is perfect for a weekend breakfast. Mr. Nutmeg Nanny will love it:)

9. Those look awesome! I love little single serve everything included breakfast things like that… and I also love that they're all ready at the same time!

10. I made these for the BJ Shea Morning Experience on Seattle's KISW 99.9 and it was a huge hit. I made 12 and they were gone in seconds. BTW – I used buttermilk bread and they thought it was like a biscuit :) So easy to do, thank you so much!!

11. Kate Morgan Jackson says:

Buttermilk bread! I love it. :-)

12. That looks awesome. Yum.

13. Fun and Fearless in Boston says:

Followed your recipe and it was so delicious! Thanks for sharing! http://funandfearlessinbeantown.blogspot.com/2009/11/frameds-bacon-and-egg-muffins.html

14. Kate Morgan Jackson says:

Thanks so much and thanks for the shout-out on your blog, you made my day! :-)

15. rocknrolla says:

Mmmmm….always looking for new ideas for the weekend, thanks! I shared this on my blog, she's crafty-

16. auto insurance companies says:

As a good fan of foods i must say that egg muffins can't look better then that.It seems pretty tasty.I wish i could taste that one.lmao..

17. oh my god. i want to make these this weekend, they look so good! one question, though, why not use the whole egg white?

Great question! You don't use the whole egg white because it overflows the little bacon and bread cup…although I guess if you got really wide bacon… :)

19. Sorry, too wasteful for me :(

1. […] globe nominees arian foster miss america pageant 2012 joe philbin jose aldo vs chad mendes lana del rey shipwreck Category: mannerism Tag: Estate, joe philbin, miss america pageant February 20th, […]

2. […] life is to take usually things that are usually not in cupcake form (lasagna, macaroni and cheese, bacon and eggs) and put them in cupcake form. There’s something just so welcoming about cupcakes, which is […]

3. […] am all about having breakfast for dinner whenever possible.  Bacon and egg muffins?  Yes please.  Caramel french toast?  Oh yes.  Bacon Cheddar Bagel Panini?  Yes, yes, a […]