Steak with Summer Squash and Pine Nuts
- 1½ pounds flank steak, marinated in your choice of marinade or not at all, works either way
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 cloves sliced garlic
- 1 pound summer squash (about 2), diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1. Heat grill or broiler to high. Season steak with salt and pepper and grill or broil to desired done-ness, 4-5 minutes per side for medium rare. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing. I am not kidding about the resting.
- 2. Heat the oil, pine-nuts and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, until the mixture is golden, 1-2 minutes.
- 3. Add the squash, bell pepper, red pepper and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until the veggies are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with chives.
- 4. Slice steak and serve with squash mixture. Sneak any leftovers to the dog.